Tuesday, May 24, 2011

5 Summer Getaways Every Kid Should Experience (sponsored)

There are some obvious summer vacations that every child should experience: a beach vacation, an amusement park trip...But there are some other, slightly more obscure getaways that still resonate with me from childhood. I hope to let my children experience at least some of them:
  • A week in the country. My mom grew up in rural west Tennessee, just north of the booming metropolis of Jackson. Many summers, she took my sister and me up to visit our country kinfolk. I wouldn't  trade those trips for anything. They were so different from our day-to-day summer in Memphis. Picking blackberries. Hiking gullies. Riding four-wheelers. Walking to "the store" to get a tall glass bottle filled with Nu-Grape soda. I can still feel/hear/smell/taste the entire experience.
  • A camping trip in a tent. This one didn't go so well for our family. We borrowed a tent from my uncle and headed to the Smoky Mountains (a great getaway of its own). As soon as we set up camp, torrential rains began pouring. At some point in the night, we abandoned the tent and slept crammed into the camper cover that was on the back of my dad's pickup. In the morning, we were awakened by park rangers on bullhorns, urging us to "evacuate immediately".We spent the rest of the trip in a hotel. But your camping trip will go much, much better.
  • A driving trip to Washington DC. There is nothing like the wonder of the monuments, the museums, and the general patriotism of DC. Our family spent one year living in Baltimore, so I was fortunate enough to take a couple trips to our nation's capital as a little kid. I hope to give this experience to my own children someday soon.
  • A cross-country journey. I've never done this, truthfully. But I'm a big advocate of road trips (really don't love to fly, actually). I'd love to drive west, stopping when the ocean begins. Along the way, we'd see all the great things we could, stop and eat road food, and buy lots of tchotkes. Ah, to be on sabbatical so that vacation days (or lack thereof) wasn't a concern!
  • A week at the gulf coast. This is my memory of older-childhood vacations. We would get a condo so we didn't have to eat out for every  meal, but when we did get to go out to eat, we would gorge ourselves on shrimp and oysters (well, except for my dad, who has a deathly allergy). My mom and dad would lounge under beach umbrellas, nursing adult beverages all day while we body surfed and looked for shells. More years than not, we replicate this vacation for our children, I'm happy to report. 
Vacations are memory makers for your children, and they don't have to break the bank. A week in the country holds just as dear a spot in my heart as those spendy trips to DC do. Get creative and make some getaway memories with your kids!

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Alamo blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”

2 comments:

Tina Peterson said...

I couldn't help but laugh (with you) at your camping trip. We had a pouring rain experience once at the camp grounds here in Nebraska. Dad took us all "fishing" - 7 of us in a 5 person tent. I had a friend with me and Dad took a couple of boys from church without Dads for a fun weekend. It was a long weekend.

Come visit Nebraska through my post at: http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com/2011/05/5-summer-getaways-every-kid-should.html if you'd like to read it =D

BTW - I'm following you too. Tina "The Book Lady"

Tina Peterson said...

Hmmm - guess I can't follow you since I don't see GFC. Let me know if you ever put it on - I'd love to stay in touch. ~ Tina "The Book Lady"

recent stuff from Goosey